Sunday 2 November 2014

Ginger, lemon and honey biscuits (gluten free, dairy free)

I promised you a post for apple butter victoria sponge, and was all set to do so until I woke up with a cold. I can't complain too much, it is the 2nd November and my first cold this year so I have done pretty well. My head is fuzzy and I know I will miss something out of the relatively simple but multi stage apple butter blog post. Soon I promise you, soon. 

Instead I offer you a simple recipe for ginger, honey and lemon biscuits. I like to think of these as the perfect healing biscuits if you have a cold. After all honey, lemon and ginger all feature heavily in commerical cold remidies.  And if you don't have a cold? They are still delicious little biscuits to nibble whenever you wish. 

The recipe is based on one for ginger and lemon biscuits by Signe Johansen in Scandilicous baking. As they contain honey I am going to enter them into this months alpha bakes.

Ginger lemon and honey biscuits

50g stem ginger
1 medium egg
20g golden syrup
20g honey
10g stem ginger syrup (from the jar the stem ginger comes in)
zest and juice of 1 lemon
125g non dairy spread (I used pure soya)
125g golden caster sugar
200g GF plain four
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Finely chop the stem ginger, add to a jug and mix in the egg, golden syrup, honey, stem ginger syrup and the zest and juice the lemon. 

In a separate bowl cream the DF spread and sugar together until creamy. Add in half the wet ingredients, 1/2 the flour and the xantham gum, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda then mix to combine. Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix, finally add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until everything is combined. Place clingfilm over the bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment. Place teaspoons full of the dough onto the sheet, making sure to leave 4-5cm between them. 


Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden round the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 


I really like these biscuits, they are light, not heavy and crunchy like regular ginger biscuits (which I also love) and the lemon adds a freshness to the ginger. They will keep in an airtight tin for at least a week. If they start to go soft blast them in the oven for a couple of minutes to crisp them up.  

 




3 comments:

  1. LOVE these..... especially love that you could use a cold as an excuse to eat loads of them! Great combination of ingredients..... a sort of cuddle in a biscuit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I definitely maintain they helped my cold... and you are right, a cuddle in a biscuit!

      Delete
  2. These definitely sound like a better cold remedy than Lemsip! Hope you are fully recovered now.Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete